Even though your teeth were meant to last your whole life, for one reason or another that isn’t always the case. If you are missing any teeth, it’s important to replace them to protect both your oral health and your overall health. Dental implants are one option for replacing teeth. Here are some facts you should know about implants to help you decide if they are right for you.
What are dental implants?
Substituting for the roots of missing teeth, dental implants become an anchor for a replacement tooth or crown. The artificial root is inserted into your jaw, and then a replacement tooth is connected to the post.
What are the benefits of implants?
- Looks and feels like your natural teeth
- Fits perfectly to allow normal speech
- Feels comfortable because it’s a permanent part of your mouth
- Functions like your own teeth so you can eat with confidence
- Provides convenience because it stays in your mouth permanently and no adhesives are needed
- Allows nearby teeth to remain intact, which improves your overall oral health
- Meant to last a lifetime with proper dental hygiene
- Improves your self-esteem by giving you back your smile
Are implants right for everyone?
People of all ages are candidates for dental implants, as long as you’re in overall good health and have healthy gums. You also need enough bone to hold the implant. A strong commitment to proper oral hygiene is also necessary to achieve the best success with implants. Talk with your dentist to determine if dental implants are the best choice in restoring your oral health.
Schedule a consultation at our Daytona Beach dental office today to see if dental implants are an option for you.